Wednesday, August 06, 2008

fabulous FL

my nanny vaca to FL rocks
I've had some learning experiences:

Instance one: bad weather=change of plans

"I'm sorry folks. we cant land in Atlanta due to the weather. We need to detour to Columbus for a few minutes"


this was after awful turbulance, a couple of awesome dry heaves on my part- which brought on some nasty nausia. Anyway... no worries. The two- hour delay in Columbus got us to Atlanta just in time to miss our flight.

so. one day was spent in GA instead of FL. We did get to glimpse a "sunburst: parade your daughter in rhinestoned evening wear- she can have her bottle later" competition. cute! on some degree.

Lessons learned: be flexible. exhaust all resources. Next time- listen to grandma's "pack an extra change of clothes and panties in your carry on" advice. Plus- stick with bonine. Equate wal-mart $5 for 100 motion sickness pills does not suffice. No thank you- leave your dry-heaves... I'll take the drowsiness.

*** I want to be the 'inspector gadget" of moms... carry everything I would need at any given moment in a tool belt- or in a purse or in a jacket pocket.
This is my dream

Somethings, you can not prepare for. Instance: "I have to go poopy"

not a big deal, right? particuarly for the kid you want potty-trained. BUT this was the 2nd announcement- and attempt- of poopy at the airport. I hurried w/ the squirming 3 year old to the potty and pulled down his pants as quick as I could- can't waste time! Then his little turd, which was nestling safely in his pull-up... rolled onto the airport floor.

dag. yes. I considered leaving it. No, I did not actually leave it. This is the same kid who initiated me into the "poop in the tub" club. (when you're bathing a child or two, and after a short commotion and kids jumping out of the tub you realize one of them has contaminated the water with a log, which you, as the adult, must fish out.)

blah. Always think of other things when touching fecal matter. And wash your hands thoroughly.

PS- the five second rule now NEVER applies.


Onto other things: Airports are fun places to meet people. And you may even find someone willing to do a trashy-magazine trade. Or someone who asks the family you're nannying for, "Is this your au pair". Which is a step up from a nanny. But nanny is a stretch in KS- so AU PAIR is way out of the ball park. It's fun, though. (No- you're not a piece of fruit, I was told)

Random fact: The Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island is the 4th best place to meet a rich man. Fact. I have not met one yet, at least not a 25 year old, single, man-of-God. I don't think I will, either, before the week is up. Just a hunch.

Cool things I have seen: dolphins. these clam shells that dig into the sand. An alligator farm. Some old fort- lots of happy people.
God is giving me time to rest my heart- be with Him- and enjoy life. Yay FL :) Yay JESUS

No comments: